Web Socket Status
The Web Socket support in browsers is experimental and based on a changing draft standard. For a production application, have a look at Socket.io support and documentation.
Mac OS X 10.6.8
Windows 7 (no service pack)
- Safari 5.1.1
- No Issues. Use this browser if your normal browser fails. You do not have to set it as your default browser. If it is installed in the default location then the browser launcher in the prelude will start it.
- Opera 11.52
- No issues. But web sockets have to be enabled manually according to the instructions in the prelude.
- Chrome 15.0.874.121 m
- Fail. Does not launch its user interface when started as a child process from node.
- Firefox 4
- No issues, if enabled, also works on Windows XP.
- Firefox 8.0.1
- Fail. Has switched to a mozilla specific MozWebSocket on the client side. Mozilla’s back and forth on this is described here. The change breaks applications, that worked in their version 4 browser. Changing the client code to MozWebSocket will obviously not work in other browsers, so I am not changing the draft standard compliant code. Besides the server implementation does not implement protocol 10.
- Internet Explorer
- Fail. Does not implement web sockets in version 9 and below. Version 10 is untested because it currently requires Windows 8.
Test Web Socket
Open a command line terminal, change directory to
Smooth-CoffeeScript/src and run:
Verify that your web browser started and you can see:
If not then open the file
prelude/prelude.coffee and see the section
To stop a web server or other script that does not stop by itself press:
Formats Markdown PDF HTML Copyright autotelicum © 2554/2011